A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, June 04, 2004

IF YOU WANT I CAN WRITE IT DOWN

I am going to say this once, and once only. For those of you who write and say stuff like, "I expect to see The Everlasting in stores by Christmas," it's a nice sentiment of encouragement, but it doesn't work that way.

Here is the current plan: the book will be completed by end of summer; I then start shopping that draft to agents; hopefully, one of them will take me and start hawking me to publishers. Maybe we'll get lucky and you'll have it by Christmas next year. I am attempting to not go a comic book route this time. That way was very successful for Cut My Hair, and it made money for myself, Scott Morse, and Oni Press, but there are certain things a prose house can afford me that the comics world can't. First, prestige amongst the prose world. I need it for my ego. Second, resources to do all the other work so that I don't have to. It's that simple. I appreciate the fans I picked up in the comic book markets (and the ones outside), and hopefully it won't matter to you how The Everlasting is released. (This also means no illustrations.)

Also, don't expect any sneak peeks in any great length, so don't ask. Some people have seen the beginning of the book, as I was ready to show material at that time, but I have pulled back and am not sharing right now. This is a monarchy, and I am touchy about that stuff, so don't be offended. It's just how I do things.

It's been a good and productive week. I am happy with how it came out. I introduced a thematic element I was struggling with, and the whole thing is rolling along nicely. Yay!

Current Soundtrack: Camouflage, "Love is a Shield"

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website


No comments: