A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

THE HAWKER (EYESIGHT TO THE BLIND)

I'm here to sell you stuff.

In stores this week, Put the Book Back on the Shelf: A Belle & Sebastian Anthology. I posted a full line-up a bit ago, but all you really need to know is that Marc Ellerby and I have a story in it, adapting "Marx & Engels," the B-side to "I'm Waking Up To Us." Click on the cover and buy it.



Mumps has heard that we might be the only people who opted for black-and-white. That worries him a little, but it excites me. I relish the chance to stand out! It was a style decision, we didn't feel our story needed color. I have been watching a little Jim Jarmusch recently, and among many other right-on things, in reference to Down By Law, he said he chose to film in black-and-white because color is distracting. Color draws your eye away from what is essential, and with some stories--particularly human stories--you want people to stay focused on what's important. This is one of the many reasons I am suddenly in love with Jim Jarmusch. Another is his hair. Another is how he talks about music. Jim, where have you been all my life?

What am I anxious about? Typos. Please don't let there be typos. Not after Four-Letter Worlds.

Also:

Two manga I have scripted. Ai Yori Aoshi vol. 12, and the first installment of the darkly comic romance book, Gacchagacha. Seek. Buy.



(I should actually note that I'm not entirely positive that Gacchagacha is out there. I believe there has been some title confusion, and there is another book from another company with the two-word title used on Amazon, which is even different than the one on the cover. But I think that's it, as it's listed as five issues on the Diamond shipping list, and the one I worked on is five.)

(And now that I'm building my links, I see someone went on a Jamie S. Rich comic book shopping spree at Amazon, buying all my original short work...and a copy of Lost at Sea. Thanks, whoever you are.)

* * *

Ian Shaughnessy and Chynna Clugston have let me know that at long last, Strangetown #1 is finished. It should be in stores in late March, courtesy of Oni Press. It's a hilarious book, and some of Chynna's best work to date. Just look:





As previously announced, I wrote a text piece for the back, a mock-up of one of the character's newspaper columns. Hilarity!

* * *

The new assignments are going well. I got a lot of work in last night. I'm almost completely nocturnal now. I just kind of slipped into it. I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. and slept until almost 11:00. This from a strict regimen of going to bed between midnight and 1:00 and being up at 7:30 in the morning.

Current Soundtrack: Suede, Suede; Pet Shop Boys, "Your Funny Uncle;" Jenny Lewis w/ the Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat


Current Mood: determined

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * The Blog Roll

[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2006 Jamie S. Rich

2 comments:

Matt Black said...

Man, I miss that kind of schedule. Now I'm one of the asleep at 12, awake at 7:30 guys...

B. Schatz said...

You probably know this now, but "Gotcha Gotcha" is now out for sure: I work at a book shop, and we just got 3 copies in (it's a small shop...)