A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

SEND YOUR ANGELS DOWN TO GUIDE ME THROUGH THAT DOOR

I'm going to be doing more theatrical reviews for DVDTalk, and today I posted my review of the new Oliver Stone movie, World Trade Center. It's a film that's already being discussed quite a bit before it's even out, and I've tried to dig into that a little bit.

* * *

And in the worst transtion ever...

Six years ago, I wrote a letter to Christina Aguilera in the Portland Mercury. It's in their calendar section here, the 10/18 entry. It reads:

Dear Christina,

I'm so glad to hear you're coming to Portland, because you and I need to sit down, young lady, and talk about your future. I'm very concerned about you. What with Britney, Mandy, Jessica, and the others competing for the same place on the charts, the real race has begun--the race to see who will still be here in ten years. I wanna put my money on you. You have the best pipes, you seem to have the best personality (though Mandy sure is sweet), and you're cute as cute can be. But I'm worried you may be going more Mariah than Madonna, and that's not good. Sure, Mariah has the track record when it comes to #1s, but let's be serious: That's more luck and repetition than artistry. Her innuendo has always been more thinly veiled than even "Genie in a Bottle," and she's never had the abandon of your latest, "Come On Over Baby." No, think Madonna. Your commitment to more urban soul on the next disc is a good start, but don't stop there! Immerse yourself in music and let it all in. I'm serious. If you want to talk more, I'll be in section 114, row R, seat 16. I have lots of ideas.

Kisses, JAMIE S. RICH

I feel like this letter gives me full boasting rights to take credit for the awesomeness of Christina's new album, Back to Basics. When I wrote that, I was going to see her on the final leg of the tour for her first album. There were rumors Timbaland was going to produce her next record. Stripped ended up not being as focused as a single producer might have made it, but I've already written about the epic that album ended up being.



Back to Basics is Christina's homage to the jazz and soul singers that inspired her as a singer. Working with DJ Premier, she has put together an amalgamation of those two styles and modern hiphop. The record is classy and infectious. What's great is she also has managed to once again go through the full range of human drama. Only Christina could successfully pull off the salacious double entendres of "Candyman" and "Nasty Naughty Boy" while also delivering the gospel of "Makes Me Wanna Pray" and "Mercy On Me", and then finish the whole thing off with the orchestral histrionics of "The Right Man," an ode to marriage. All the songs are perfectly chosen for Christina's voice. She sounds richer, more honeyed, than she ever has, and she seems more confident than ever, not feeling the need to show off nearly as much as in the past. The girl can sing, she doesn't have to prove it.

And for the record, I've already pointed out that "Ain't No Other Man" is all about me, but you should know I'm the "Candyman," as well. I make the panties drop, and that's all you need to know.



Current Soundtrack: Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic DVD with audio commentary


Current Mood: fey

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * The Blog Roll * "Can You Picture That?" * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2006 Jamie S. Rich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the single was awesome, so I'm looking forward to hearing the album. I love how glamorous she looks these days, too. I think it suits her fabulously.

And yeah... girl's got one hell of a voice. She really does blow the others out of the water.