A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

DARLING, WE GO A-DROWNING, DOWN WE GO AWAY

or

GOOD MORNING, COMRADES, THERE'S WORK TO BE DONE



So, I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing that I don't update the blog unless I actually have something to say. I'm not a person who sees the value in this new Twitter site, for instance. Celebrating the ephemera of my everyday life seems to me the sort of behavior that will eventually cause one to draw elaborate maps of imaginary nations on the walls of one's apartment with crayons, spaghetti sauce, and feces. While it's a safe bet I'll end up there one day anyway, I don't see the purpose in hurrying it along.

I'm also not sure I should be breaking this string of posts full of links and whatnot just to say, "I've got nothing to say, but I feel guilty giving you nothing but links and reviews and commercials, so I'm going to let you know it's nothing personal." It's either ironic, or the whole apology is disingenuous, I'm not sure which. Can we just leave it at "I've been thinking about you" and not worry too much about what that means?

The thing is, I have been working. Over the last couple of weeks I finished up two manga volumes, wrote a longer outline for something I've been pitching, and started the early stages of a couple of other ideas, putting some stuff on paper (or screen) to see how the chips fell. Taking Fish Creek to Fun City is turning into something surreal, almost dadaist, and I don't know that I like it, but it makes for a nice counterbalance to the very straightforward part of my brain that I have to use to ferret out review venues for Have You Seen the Horizon Lately?--which I now sit back and patiently wait to see what percentage of the people who we've sent the book to actually say something about it. Good or bad.

The result of this is that I've been in a pretty interior place. My days are spent thinking, staring, scribbling, and everything that is in my brainspace ends up in these things, and thus, no outside trains of thought to load into this station.

Never fear, though, as life ebbs and flows, and things will change.

Unless you prefer it when I shut up. In which case, enjoy it while it lasts.



Current Soundtrack: Manic Street Preachers, "Autumnsong" B-sides

Current Mood: creating

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2007 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: