A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, August 13, 2007

REST IN PEACE, MIKE WIERINGO

Wow. What a heartbreak of a morning.

When I read the headline at the Newsarama blog that said "Mike Wieringo Passes Away," my soul sank. "Please," I thought, "let this be a play on the title of some book he's working on, a bad joke, anything..."

But unfortunately, it's true. The excellent artist Mike Wieringo has died at the age of 44 from a heart attack. He was a talented guy with one of the best reputations in comics.

I'm sad to say I never met the man in person, but like probably so many people in the industry, I received nice notes from him or saw nice things he said about books I was working on in various places. He worked on one of Oni's Sidekicks books for practically nothing, a volunteer on the project because he was a fan. He was so talented, so sweet...this really hurts.

Please check out his blog. He updated it on Friday. It's weird that his final post was about mundane things, but I guess that's how life works, and hopefully means he was having a good time and doing what was important to him.

This picture really says a lot, doesn't it?



Good luck, Mike, in whatever afterlife you chose for yourself.

3 comments:

Travis said...

I read that today and totally felt the same way. Never met him in person either, but I used to buy Robin monthly just to check out his amazing art.

steve said...

Even though I only met him once briefly last year, I felt like I had known him for a long time through his art.

A very sad day indeed. The industry lost a great, warm, kind, and friendly man.

My thoughts go out to his family.

ADC said...

I met Mike a number of years ago and had some good times hanging out with him in various hotel lobbies. (all my comic peoples know this is where everyone ends up at cons)
I was utterly shocked when I heard this, and even now really don't know what to say, that people around the industry aren't saying already. He was truly one of the nicest professional comic creator's I've ever met.