A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

TELL THAT GIRL TO SHUT UP



Let's start off this week with some fanmail, this time out from Sangi sangi, whose e-mail is lady.god.diva:

I read your review of 'Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium' and... I feel it is very sloppy. There is a difference between a critique and an acting-out of one's issues on something else. The difference is rather easy to spot. For one thing, your language is much like a tantrum [not unlike the store tantrum] rather than constructive. You're a writer, Mr. Rich. Have you any experience in producing a film? Writing a novel I imagine is much different than producing a movie. Ironic, isn't it, that you critique something you've not tried yourself before?

Best,
Sangi


Best to you, too, Sangi! As I've often said, I don't have to be a janitor to know when a toilet needs cleaning, sometimes shit just smells.

But, you remind me that I wanted to link to Roger Ebert's amazing blog post about certain rules movie reviewers should live by. Read it yourself and see how I measure up. I am at least confident that this rant doesn't hurt me as much as it does Ben Lyons, the boy who is single-handedly lowering all expectations about what we talk about when we talk about movies.

THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...

* Synecdoche, New York, the directorial debut of Charlie Kaufman. The writer of Adaptation achieves his goals, but that doesn't mean the movie is necessarily good.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* Au hasard Balthazar, Robert Bresson's humanistic parable about a saintly donkey.

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection, an outstanding collection of some early films from the master of suspense that is unfortunately marred by production issues. The individual sections on Rebecca and Spellbound were also posted at Criterion Confessions.

* Newsradio: The Complete Series, a low-rent collection of all five seasons of the intelligent and witty sitcom. "I've read your book, you magnificent bastard!"



Current Soundtrack: Looney Tunes - Golden Collection, Volume Six DVD 3



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2008 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: