A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

WELCOME TO THE BLUES, DARKNESS HAS NO FACE

The fan letters keep coming:

I read your review of 'Sunshine Superman: The Journey of Donovan' and...I believe you're a little too over-impressed with Megastardom in and of itself, and a little too under-impressed with work quite as qualititative but which didn't sell on a mass basis. But why be different from the masses?


I think he got confused. I'm not one with the masses, I'm simply massive.



THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...

* Dark Streets, a wannabe jazz-age crime musical. Perhaps the worst movie I've seen in 2008. So bad it's bad.

* Doubt, from stage to screen, John Patrick Shanley's drama about suspicious activity at a Catholic school provokes and impresses.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* Trafic, a later entry in the ingenious comedy series featuring Jacques Tati as M. Hulot.


THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Europa - Criterion Collection, the stylistic post-War thriller from Lars von Trier. (Also at Criterion Confessions.)



* Generation Kill, the complete Frost-Simon HBO series about the early days of the Iraq War.

* Paul Simon: Live from Philadelphia, in which the 1980s begin to swallow the troubadour, Members Only jacket and all.

* The Who at Kilburn: 1977, two-discs of monster rock!



Current Soundtrack: Jeff Buckley, Grace



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2008 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: