A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, April 27, 2009

YOU SHALL FIND ME A GRAVE MAN

With You Have Killed Me imminent, talk of a second book has resumed, and my thoughts return to Mercutio, the confidante of Romeo who has provided inspiration for me before and who served as a starting point for Antonio Mercer, the private detective Joëlle and I have created (that name is no accident). Mercutio and private eyes have much in common: a sadness at innocence lost, the ability to see the failings other cannot, a code of honor that ends up being the source of their success, woe, and downfall all at the same time.

I like how John McEnery plays him as a kind of sad trickster in the 1968 Franco Zeffirelli version of Romeo & Juliet.





Any real talk of a second book is still premature, but hey, anything's possible.

Current Soundtrack: Serge Gainsbourg

No comments: