A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, May 22, 2009

LIVING WITH THE HUMAN MACHINES



IN THEATRES...

* The Brothers Bloom, the second film from Brick's Rian Johnson is the movie to see this weekend. The trailer only touches on it, it doesn't do it justice. With Mark Ruffalo, Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz, and Rinko Kikuchi.

* 12, a truly awful Russian remake of 12 Angry Men.

* Rudo y Cursi, a cute sports movie reuniting the stars of Y tu mama tambien.

* Terminator Salvation, a total letdown. The franchise is dead. But you're going to go see it anyway, so if nothing else, heed my advice and bring a neck pillow, because you're going to want to take a nap.

And, of course, not everyone is going to agree with this. Jamie@SRich.com writes--hey, wait a minute, that can't be right, I didn't send this. I'd have the guts to sign my name:

"I read your review of 'Terminator Salvation' and... it was pathetic. Stick to your comic books, that's all your little brain is able to understand."


I'll give myself some credit. I didn't misspell any words despite the self-hatred I inspired in me.

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* 3 Seconds Before Explosion, a fun but formulaic 1960s crime movie from Japan that doesn't quite live up to the promise of its name.

* All You Need is Love, vol. 1, the beginning of a multi-part documentary about music made just prior to the arrival of punk.

* El Dorado - The Centennial Collection, a fun latter-day western from Howard Hawks, starring John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan.

* Mélo, an emotionally powerful drama of infidelity from Alain Resnais, circa 1986.

* Pigs, Pimps, & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura, an awesome trio of films from the irreverent Japanese director's early 1960s period. (Also at Criterion Confessions.)



Current Soundtrack: Pulp, Different Class - Deluxe Edition CD2



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2009 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: