A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL, PT. 3



NEW IN THEATRES...

* Toy Story 3, another winner from Pixar, though I admit to maybe liking it a little less than expected. I feel like a lot of the movie was already done in that Simpsons episode where Maggie went to the Ayn Rand School for Tots. (Joke!)

Then again, I'm also not all that happy with my review, so maybe there's just something wrong with me.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* By Brakhage: An Anthology, Vol. One, a survey of the work of experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage.

* Close-Up - Criterion Collection, an intriguing dissection of cinematic life from Abbas Kiarostami. (Also at DVD Talk.)

* Mystery Train, a tribute to Memphis from the always excellent Jim Jarmusch.



THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Le Combat dans l'ile, a lost film from the French New Wave starring Romy Schneider.

* The Maid, a dark Chilean dramedy about the social classes and one woman's sacrifice to and redemption within the same.

* Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, a so-so music biopic about Ian Dury.

* Stolen, Jon Hamm's chin can only do so much for this undercooked mystery.



Current Soundtrack: Tindersticks, Live in London 2010

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2010 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: