A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, July 15, 2011

F(ile) U(nder): STFU - Harry Potter edition

My mail, sent at 1:00 a.m. PST, opening day:

I read your review of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (3D)' and... you have to read the books to make an accurate critique. the movie had some good parts but changed things that were already well thought out and were perfect the way they were written. the director clearly did not know what real fans of the books wanted. and the books are the reason the story is even popular in the first place.

1 comment:

Jenny O said...

...not that you need the validation, but I was actually interested in hearing a critique from someone who HASN'T read the books- in my opinion that's probably the only way a viewer would be ABLE to give an honest critique of the MOVIE. Not of the "movie-adaptation-of-a-beloved-book", but of the "movie-in-and-of-itself". I had way too much emotionally invested in that franchise to be able to watch the movies without my inner nerd raging on along the lines of, "They changed the syntax in that sentence!" (or "Oh yes that was JUST right,"), and although I enjoyed the hell out of the film I wasn't sure if it would translate to someone who wasn't already inside-out-familiar with the story. Sooo... good to know it's not just my Potter-colored-glasses saying it was awesome.