A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

ACTION IS HIS MIDDLE NAME

Morrissey is coming to Portland on Friday. One hopes. He still has two days. The dude is cagey.

Morrissey's every effort these days is always to be met with cautious enthusiasm. I've seen shows where he's been amazing, I've seen others where he's really stiffed it and looks like he couldn't be bothered. I try not to pay attention to the talking head version of the man anymore. His views are far too calcified, and he plays the bully when faced with opposition. His latest antics with Jimmy Kimmel are all you need to to know to see he has pretty much lost all sense of humor and isn't even on point enough to realize that of course Kimmel wasn't going to be pushed around by him and of course he'd make fun of Moz for it the next day. The Morrissey of my youth would have gone on the show, performed "Meat is Murder," and rewritten the lyrics to apply to ducks.

That said...I am still pretty stoked for the concert. It was supposed to happen last fall, and we've literally been waiting months now.

Way back when, Ned Lannamann at the Portland Mercury suggested I write their preview for the show, but only if I could give him something about the singer he'd never read before. I thought he was nuts, but I decided to try.

This is what I came up with.

I'm pretty proud of it, I must say.


Current Soundtrack: Kate Nash, Girl Talk



No comments: